Potrait by Joel Dowling
NEED HELP WITH YOUR SPACE?
Kindly use our contact form, you can expect a same day response. We work on projects near & far, recently completing a private residence in Chicago, Illinois.
1010 44th Avenue, Suit 433, LIC, NY 11101
To realize sublime, functional beauty.
ABOUT THE OFFICE
SPACECUTTER is a high-design, architecture firm specializing in the creation of unique spaces & objects. Every project is treated with thoughtful care & attention to detail to realize its full potential. Our goal is to realize work that brings sublime pleasure into the everyday.
Work ranges from large spaces to objects which encompasses: master planning, retail, institutional, residential, hospitality, restaurants, and furnishings which have been built through rooftop additions, gut renovations, adaptive reuse, new ground-up construction, and imaginative proposals. Furthermore, the studio takes a very hands-on approach through the entire design and realization process to assure a high level of quality control. The office provides the below integrated services to ensure projects runs smoothly from beginning to end. The studio was founded in 2009 as Alex Gil Design LLC & is currently doing business as SPACECUTTER; a more memorable & meaningful name.
ABOUT THE PRINCIPAL
Alex has lived & worked in New York City for over 20 years. His professional experience is broad & includes supervising high-rise construction in New York City; creating large contemporary residences; designing schools for the office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; & collaborating with the architectural theoretician Lebbeus Woods. He has studied design & architecture extensively & holds a Master of Architecture degree from Harvard University & a Bachelor of Architecture from The Cooper Union.
Alex Gil is a registered architect, founder & principal of SPACECUTTER. Alex enjoys working with clients to help them realize a vision & has the necessary combination of strong interpersonal skills and management capabilities required to take projects to completion. Alex conducts business with candid honesty & diplomacy.
The studio is interested in physical ideas that transcend time & place. Ideas are gathered, explored, cut, combined, rejected, re-examined, refined & ultimately crafted into sensual artifacts that occupy our physical world. Although the work range cannot be stylistically classified, it is clearly contemporary work rooted in exploring notions of site-specificity, phenomenology, materiality & structural tectonics.
9 INTEGRATED SERVICES
• Concept Design, exploring different project directions & possibilities
• Schematic Design, further exploring full possibilities within one option
• Design Development, fine tuning & working with other professionals
• 3D Computer Renderings, to aid in visualization
• Construction Drawings, detailed technical instructions for contractors
• Regulatory Approval, incorporating all necessary items for code
• Contractor & Fabricator Selection, ensuring the proper build team is hired
• Construction Administration, ongoing support & quality control
• Construction & Fabrication Visits, to check on progress of work
• New York State Architect #034544
• Illinois State Architect #001021662
• Porcher/JADO National Design Competition
• Alpha Rho Chi Medal for Leadership & Merit
EXHIBITIONS & LECTURES, 2009-PRESENT
• 5×5 Participatory Provocations, panel discussion, Center for Arch., NYC
• 5×5 Participatory Provocations, Diplomat’s Tower exhibit, University of Illinois
• NYCxDESIGN, Dwell Home Tours, NYC
• Dwell on Design, Preservation Nation panel discussion, NYC
• Archtober, Arthur Houghton Gallery, NYC
• Design Within Reach finalist at WANTED Design, NYC
• BOFFO Show House, NYC
• Black Market, CULTUREfix Gallery, NYC
• Curate NYC, Rush Arts Gallery, NYC
• AREAWARE design to go, Port Authority, NYC
• Shoot Miami, Artists of the Falls Studio, Miami
• The Great White Whale is Black, Houghton Gallery, NYC